Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Trader Joe's Pumpin O's



Here we have a review that I had intended to finish up and post before my holiday hiatus, but I never quite got around to it. Now I've been debating on whether or not to post it, since it's a seasonal item that you currently cannot buy, except maybe at a ridiculous price through third parties on sites like Amazon or eBay. Anyhoo, on to the review!

To purchase your very own Pumpkin O's, I recommend waiting until the ubiquitous pumpkin season rolls around again and hit up your local Trader Joe's for a box or two. Prices could very well change until that happens again, but I paid $2.49 for this box.


Nutritionally, these aren't that great. They have too much sugar for one.... and that's really it. Well, the grains are whole, and it does contain actual pumpkin, but that is overshadowed by the sheer sugar content. Perhaps it's a normal amount of sugar as far as breakfast cereals go, but it's still more than I personally want in a cereal.


For my tasting, I doused a bowlful with almond milk. I was honestly expecting these to be similar to cheerios in flavor and texture, but that was not the case at all. With rice being the first ingredient, it's not surprising that despite the 'O' shape, they were more like a rice crispy cereal.

The flavor was good albeit a bit too sweet for my liking, the pumpkin flavor was subtle but definitely there. The cereal had a good crispy texture that held up well in the almond milk.


Would I buy this again? Likely not. As I've mentioned, it was just too sweet for me, and there are much better pumpkin flavored seasonal goodies available. If they would cut the sugar in half I would try them again.

Should you try them? If you just can't get enough pumpkin and sugary cereals don't bother you, then by all means! Also, it is gluten free.

No comments:

Post a Comment