Pages

Friday, January 29, 2016

Amy's Tamale Verde


Tamales are freakin' delicious, but finding vegan varieties can be challenging as they are traditionally made with chicken stock and often filled with meats and cheeses. Amy's Kitchen comes to the rescue once again filling this vegan void, but is it any good? Let's find out!

If you're looking to buy... It might not be easy to find this entree, as it doesn't seem to be one of Amy's more popular frozen entrees. Places that carry a good variety of frozen Amy's or just seem to carry more of the off the beaten path stuff would be your best bet. I found this tamale entree at a local Target on sale for $3.79.


The packaging on this entree is typical of many of Amy's frozen entrees - cardboard box, plastic bag, cardboard tray. The outer box does have an easy-tear tab.


The heating directions give the usual options, and as usual I opted for the microwave. The microwave directions do call for 50% power for a portion of the cooking time, which I'm not terribly a fan of. But I followed the directions nonetheless, which left the verde sauce out the outside a bit dried out and yet it was still slightly cold in the middle. I think I'll try deviating from the directions next time.


Nutritionally, the fat and sodium contents are a bit high for my liking. I also wish it had a little less sugar. On the good side, it is loaded with veggies, the rice is brown rice, and so it has an amazing amount of fiber! If Amy's could just cut back the oil and salt a bit, this would be a very healthy meal. Still, it's a much better option than so many other frozen meals out there.


So how does it taste? I like it! despite not cooking quite perfectly, it is still very tasty. In all honesty however, the filling is very similar to what they have in their enchiladas, but it has the soft, masa tamale outside and the delicious verde sauce. The rice is tasty too and I didn't even notice that it was brown rice as I was eating it.


Would I buy this again? Yes. This is actually one of my favorites of Amy's frozen meals!

Should you give a try? I would say yes, if you like tamales! Who doesn't love tamales? Sure, this doesn't actually come in the corn husk, but I guess the people at Amy's just wanted to save you from that work? Who knows. It is gluten free as well, if that's important to you.

Product Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment