Pages

Monday, November 2, 2015

Clif Kid ZBar - "Goblin" Chocolate Chip


Sometimes companies come out with awesome seasonal goodies that you can't get the rest of the year, other times they just slap seasonal packaging on something they make all the time. Unfortunately, this seemingly seasonal goodie falls under the later category. Is it actually any good though? Keep reading to find out!


Buying. I found this bar at Fred Meyer for $0.69. It's exactly the same as their normal chocolate chip ZBar flavor, so it should be easy to find at any store that carries the ZBars.

Online, I have found these bars on Amazon, iHerb, and Thrive Market.

Packaging. I only bought a single bar and not a box, so it just has a wrapper. It's easy to open, so it's great to have while out and about. The Halloween themed design is cute.



Nutrition. So. Much. SUGAR. There's 12 grams of sugar in this tiny bar! I counted five sweeteners in here, including the fig paste. I'm also not happy about the 1.5g of saturated fat and I feel that the calorie content should be a bit lower for being such a small bar. Sure, it does have some fiber, and it's fortified like a multivitamin for some tiny bit of health benefit.

I get that this product is marketed for kids, and it's certainly a better option than many other kids snacks, like candy or twinkies, but I just can't say it's a healthy treat on account of all the sugar.


Tasting. As expected from all the sugar, this is a very sweet treat. The texture is soft and it has a bit of a grainy-ness to it, it's rather similar to a moist oatmeal cookie in that regard. I'd almost say it tastes like a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie, but the taste of fig does come through a bit and some people might find that off-putting, though I wasn't bothered much by it. It tasted ok overall, but nothing to get really excited about.


Bottom Line. Clif's website. I don't think I would buy this again for various reasons. Because of the sugar content alone, it bugs me that they try to pass this off as a healthy treat. Then there's the issue that Clif's chocolate is not fair trade. At the time of posting this review, they still have not gotten a stamp of approval from the Food Empowerment Project, but it seems they are trying to work on that. If you don't want to support child slavery, definitely give this a miss for now.

If you're not bothered by the lack of fair trade chocolate or excessive sugar, this is a fairly cheap treat that is decently tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment