Pages

Monday, November 9, 2015

Dandies Pumpkin Flavored Marshmallows



Pumpkin marshmallows! Sounds awesome, right? I love the regular Dandies marshmallows, and I've had Sweet & Sara's pumpkin spice marshmallows which are AWESOME, so I was excited when I first heard of these and I couldn't wait to try them! Read on to get my take on them!
Buying. I picked up this bag at Food Fight for $5. They're also available from Pangea Vegan Store. I have not had much luck finding them elsewhere.This is a seasonal flavor that won't be available for long!

Packaging. It's marshmallows in a plastic bag. The design is pretty distinctive from their normal packaging with it's orange color and the dapper marshmallow guy taking on a pumpkin shape.


Nutrition. It's 100% pure sugary goodness. If the sugar alone isn't enough to deter you, maybe the carageenan will? It also has pumpkin flavor (duh) and annatto for coloring that the original variety does not.

Tasting. Once again, I failed at reading and neglected to see that these are just pumpkin flavor, not pumpkin spice. Expecting pumpkin spice, I was initially disappointed by the flavor. They do have a slight pumpkiny flavor to them, and they otherwise taste like marshmallows. I rather wish these were the normal size marshmallows, as I feel that the starchy coating on the outside just helped to mute the pumpkin flavor.


Bottom Line. If they came out with these again next year as a pumpkin spice flavor, I would definitely give them another go. As is, I'm just not a huge fan of pumpkin flavor on it's own. I would much rather just get my hands on some of the Sweet & Sara pumpkin spice marshmallows than buy this Dandies flavor again. I would love it if Dandies would do some other flavors like Sweet & Sara does, though I have heard that Dandies does do a mint flavor around Xmas - I'll be certain to review them here if they do!

If you like just pumpkin flavor and marshmallows, I'd recommend giving these a try. I think they could be good if you're cooking with them in a way to add you're own spice, like in rice crispy treats or a spiced hot cocoa. The original (vanilla) flavored Dandies are definitely worth it either way!

Dandies (Chicago Vegan Foods) website

No comments:

Post a Comment