Pages

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Sol Cuisine Veggie Breakfast Patties



I love a good breakfast sausage! Today I'm looking at an offering from a Canadian based company, Sol Cuisine. This is the first time I've ever had anything from this brand, so I'm curious to see what it's like. Read on to see my take on it!


Buying. Sol Cuisine has a product locator on their website, where if you click on the locations on the map it does show specifically which products are carried there. This is a frozen product and if you are comfortable buying such online, you can also find them on Vegan Essentials or Amazon.


Packaging. Inside the cardboard box, the patties were packed by twos in plastic sleeves.


Preparation. The package instructions offer four options for heating the patties. The first pair I cooked, I opted for the stovetop. Although I followed the directions, I think my pan was too hot and the outside got a bit burnt while the inside didn't really look all that cooked, though they were heated through. I also tried some heated in the microwave, which (of course) did nothing to brown them. Either way, I don't think it's possible to heat these in a manner to get them to look like how they do on the packaging picture.


Nutrition. This product is primarily soy protein and oil, with some binders, flavorings and then fortified with a load of vitamins & minerals. This is a pretty processed food, and a third of the calories are coming from fat. The sodium content doesn't seem so bad until you realize that a serving is only one of the small patties, I could easily see someone eating the entire box which would put you at almost 2/3rds of a day's worth of sodium. While these do have a respectable amount of protein and a bit of fiber, I would label them as mostly junk food. Then again, does anyone look to breakfast sausage as a healthy food item?

Skillet cooked patties
Tasting. My first impression of these breakfast patties is that they don't even really look that appetizing: like little beige hockey pucks. As noted above, I'm not sure that any cooking method would render these appealing to look at. Appearance aside, they did at least taste decent.

I get that these are being marketed as a healthier option to pig-based sausage, but I really feel they would be greatly improved with a higher fat content. They were a bit dry and honestly the texture was a tad on the mushy side. The flavor itself was good; it successfully reminded me of breakfast sausage, only they were a tad too salty for my liking. Overall, I was not impressed.

Microwaved patties
Bottom Line. I would not buy these again, mostly because there are much better breakfast sausage options out there, such as the Simple Truth brand (found at Kroger & associated stores). However, I am willing to try other products from Sol Cuisine.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend for you to try them either, unless you don't have any better options for breakfast patties, or you need ones that are specifically gluten free, as this offering from Sol Cuisine is.

Ultimately, these Sol Cuisine sausage patties aren't healthy enough to warrant eating them as a healthy option, and not tasty enough to eat them as a junk food option, it seems like they really missed the mark with these.

No comments:

Post a Comment