Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Trader Joe's Scandinavian Swimmers


Scandinavian Swimmers? What exactly makes them "Scandinavian"? I can only guess that this is Trader Joe's way of letting you know that it's their take on those red Swedish Fish candies. Swedish Fish have a reputation for being vegan, but how does this version from Trader Joe's compare? Keep on reading to find out!

Buying. Obviously, you gotta go to Trader Joe's for this one, or find it second-hand elsewhere. It's $2.99 for a 14 oz bag.

Packaging. It's notched at the top for easy tearing, but of course that doesn't always work. The bag itself is resealable, which is great!


Nutrition. They're candy, just pure sugar candy. Trader Joe's puts it quite well themselves on their product page: "... we’re not calling these “health food,” mind you. We know they’re candy. They’re just candy without so much junk in their recipe." 

Tasting. Seeing as how these seem to be a take on the Swedish Fish candy, I was expecting them to be similar. Upon opening my bag, I first noticed the fact that more than half the bag was just the red lobsters. It took me a bit of digging around to find the other three varieties, the orange fish, yellow seahorses and blue dolphins.


Each shape/color  is uniquely flavored, but I was stumped as to what the flavors were supposed to be, but I did find the information on the actual product website. It would've been nice if this information was on the package itself, but that's a minor nit-pick all things considered. The lobsters are berry, the seahorses are mango-peach, the fish is orange, and the dolphins are huckleberry.

I found these to be a bit softer than Swedish Fish, and in my opinion, that is a good thing! I don't feel like I'm having to pry tiny bits out of my teeth so much after eating them. Oddly, the fish one seemed a bit softer than the other varieties, I'm not sure why. Flavor-wise, though berries are my favorite kind of fruit, when it comes to this mix I rather prefered the orange fish or the mango-peach seahorse. All of them were pretty tasty though!

Bottom Line. They're junk food to be sure, but I liked them! I'll definitely be getting them again. If you like gummy candies, I highly recommend giving them a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment