Pages

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Food Should Taste Good Olive Tortilla Chips



"Food should taste good" - no way?! I'm sorry, but I find the name of this brand to be a bit obnoxious. I'm also wary whenever I pick up something new from this brand, while many of their snacks are pretty tasty, I've managed to find a few that have tasted so vile not even I could stomach eating them. Today I'm looking at their tortilla chips that are olive flavored. They couldn't possibly mess up tortilla chips could they? Let's find out!

Buying. I do have to apologize here, I honestly don't remember where I bought these or how much I paid for them. They had already been sitting in my pantry for a few months by the time I restarted this blog. The brand is easy enough to find at any store that carries "natural" brands, like Whole Foods or New Seasons. I've even come across them from time to time at Winco (which is where I want to say I got these). However, FSTG has quite a large variety of snacky offerings, and I don't any store is going to carry everything they have. So finding these olive chips could be tricky.

Online definitely seems to be the easier option. You can buy them directly from FSTG, or there's options on Amazon.

Either way, do expect these chips to be more expensive than your typical tortilla chips, as is par for the course when it comes to these "natural" brands.

The info panel that can be found on many of the FSTG products

Packaging. There's not much to say about it really, they come packaged in a bag much the same as any other kind of chip. I did have to use scissors to get the bag open though. All FSTG products have a handy dandy icon chart on the back too for all the various benefits, including if it's vegan.



Nutrition. Don't be fooled by natural brands, real tortilla chips are never health food! Your basic tortilla  chip ingredients are just corn, oil and salt. These chips are no different with the exception of added olives (duh) and garlic.

I got lazy and didn't straighten out the bag. So sue me!

Comparing the nutritional breakdown of these to a popular national brand, they come out to being almost identical. The only significant difference I could find was with the sodium, these olive chips have almost twice as much! Still, I'm not gonna get too upset about 210mg of sodium in a snacky junk food.

I forgot to get a good closeup shot so you could really see the olive bits.


Tasting. What can I say, they taste like tortilla chips, EXCEPT WITH OLIVE BITS EMBEDDED IN THEM!!! Can you tell I love olives?? 'Cause I do. Very much. I'm especially a fan of kalamata olives, which these have. You can really taste the different varieties of olives in these (also green & nicoise). Oddly enough, I didn't find these chips to taste nearly as salty as other tortilla chips out there. I do expect tortilla chips to be a little salty, and these were just right. I should also mention that I only ate these straight up with no dip or salsa of any kind, I imagine that a dip would likely mask the olive flavor. If you want tortillas for dipping, I don't think these would be worth the price.

Bottom Line. Food Should Taste Good website. If you love olives and you love tortilla chips, and the thought of combining the two sounds appealing, I would highly recommend giving these a try. I would definitely buy them again (if I can find them), but after looking through the FSTG website, I'm definitely gonna keep an eye out for some of their other tasty sounding flavors, like guacamole or falafel!

FSTG isn't a vegan company, but many of their snacks are vegan and even certified as such! Woohoo! They also have gluten free goodies too, including these olive chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment