Pages

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Sjaak's Organic Chocolates - Bite Size (variety of flavors)



Who doesn't love a good box of chocolates? Now, imagine getting to buy those decadent filled chocolate morsels as foil-wrapped individuals! Sjaak's does make boxes of their chocolates as well, but today I'm tasting a variety of their individual flavors. And just how were they? Let's find out!

Buying. These bites come in two different sizes, the smaller sizes run for $0.40 and the larger $0.65 at Food Fight. I'm not entirely sure where else to find them in person, but there's loads of options for buying online! Buy them directly from Sjaak's or Food Fight, Pangea Vegan Store, Vegan Essentials, Natural Candy Store, and many others I'm sure.

Most of the flavors I'm reviewing here are seasonal, so they no longer may be available. Sorry!


Packaging. Foil wrapper with a sticker to seal the bottom and indicate flavor.

Nutrition. There's no nutritional info on the tiny labels of these, but c'mon, they're chocolate candies! They're going to be nothing but sugar and fat! Chocolate might be good for antioxidants, but if you're eating it in this form, you're just eating junk food.

Take it off, take it off! Whooo there, sexy!

Noms. I sampled five varieties of these chocolates. The two small ones are both Halloween seasonal items, flavored peanut butter and orange. The larger ones are flavored pumpkin spice (fall seasonal), nog (winter seasonal?), and peanut butter. I did notice a bit of bloom on some of these, but they still tasted fine to me. I did have these stored my fridge, but let them sit out for a while before eating.

I probably should have let them sit at room temperature a bit longer before cutting.

  • Small Peanut Butter - Peanut butter and chocolate, such a perfect combination! The peanut butter filling had a soft consistency. Maybe it's just my imagination, but this one seemed to have a slight crisp texture to it too. I loved it!
  • Small Orange - The orange filling had an almost jelly like texture to it. The flavor was a bit tart for my liking, I think it would've been better paired with a darker chocolate.
  • Nog - I bought this one out of sheer curiosity, as I have never liked nog in any form (egg, soy, what have you). The filling was very sticky/caramelly. It had a spiced, sickeningly sweet flavor that I should have expecting from something nog flavored. If you love the nog, you'll love this one. Personally, it made my teeth hurt. 
  • Pumpkin Spice - The filling had the same texture as the nog one, but the flavor was much better. It wasn't overwhelmingly sweet, and it had a nice pumpkiny flavor to it. This one was my favorite after the peanut butter ones. 
  • Large Peanut Butter - pretty much identical to the small peanut butter bite, only it didn't have that crisp-thing going on. I really might have been imagining that. Still, very good. 

Final Thoughts. I would definitely buy these again, and I would recommend anyone else giving these bites, or any of Sjaak's other chocolates a try! Well, I'm certainly never getting the nog flavor again, but I should've known better to begin with.

Sjaak's website. Sjaak's is entirely vegan and fair trade! Huzzah!

No comments:

Post a Comment