Pages

Friday, October 23, 2015

So Delicious Candy Corn Coconutmilk Non-Dairy Dessert



Seasonal treats! Who doesn't love them? Every year when Halloween rolls around, I always get a little sad when I realize that vegan candy corn does not exist, but then last year So Delicious came out with this candy corn coconut ice cream novelty! I was ecstatic! Alas, I was not able to find a box last year, and I had all but given up on finding them this year too. That is, until a friend let me know that my local New Seasons had a few boxes left. Success! After searching for so long, were these frozen treats worth it? Read on to find out!

Buying. These are a seasonal treat and depending on where you live, they may be very hard to find. I would try stores that carry a good selection of non-dairy frozen novelties. I paid $4.99 for this box at New Seasons, which includes 4 novelties. I don't know if this is a normal price or not for non-dairy novelties as I rarely buy them.

I would not try to find these (or any other frozen desserts) online.

The open box. There are four bars!
An inconspicuous wrapper. 
Packaging. The cardboard box is cutely decorated for the season, and the novelties are individually wrapped inside. Pretty standard. My particular box was barely sealed which is a little bothersome, but I let it slide since I've been trying to hard to find them.

There's also some silly riddles on the front of the box, my cashier at New Seasons got a kick out of reading them to me.


Nutrition. This is a frozen sugar and fat concoction. You're fooling yourself if you think these are in any way a healthy food. Though they're probably marginally better than an actual dairy dessert item. They are only 140 calories per bar, not so bad for a treat!


Oddly enough, they have a high amount of vitamin C too, and I can't figure out where it comes from just looking at the ingredients. Not to mention 2g of fiber. Meager health benefits aside, these are ultimately just junk food. Eat sparingly.

To be honest, it doesn't really look like any candy corn I've seen before:
the color scheme is totally wrong. 

Tasting. It did not meet my expectations. At all.

Ok, first of all, before I acquired this box, I had already found out that they weren't actually candy corn flavored. There is nothing on the box or product page that actually clarifies what flavor they're supposed to be, and this feels a bit misleading to me.

The top portion is vanilla, with a thin chocolate coating on the tip, and the orange bottom is actually orange flavored. Other reviews compare the orange part to an orange creamsicle, and I can get that comparison, but it doesn't really taste like that to me.

Missed expectations aside, I did like it. The coconut ice cream was very soft, just firm enough really to hold the candy corn shape. I enjoyed the vanilla flavored portion more than the orange portion, but the orange part was pretty good too.

Final Notes. So Delicious website. I am not sure I would ever buy these again. I most certainly would not go on a wild goose chase to find them ever again! While I did like them and I do think the idea of them is very cute, I think I would prefer to buy a regular ol' chocolate coated vanilla novelty. Either way, I really think So Delicious should label what flavors this are in this treat on the package.

These Candy Corn frozen bars are certified vegan and gluten free.

How do you feel about these candy corn treats not actually being candy corn flavored?

No comments:

Post a Comment