Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Sukhi's Street Wrap - Veggie Samosa



This samosa wrap got me wondering, since it seems like it's just an Indian burrito, just what is the difference between a burrito and a wrap? I actually tried to figure out if there is a official difference, but there doesn't seem to be one. I'm guessing that you could just think of a burrito as a particular variety of wrap for Mexican filled yummies. In the end, I don't think it really matters what you call a flatbread filled with whatever you've got as long as it tastes good.

For those who are not familiar, a samosa is kinda like an empanada in that it's a stuffed, savory pastry. This Indian treat is usually filled with spiced peas and potatoes and is often considered an appetizer. I love samosas, and I was looking forward to trying them in a wrap form, so how did Sukhi's do with it? Let's find out!
Buying. I picked up this particular wrap at Whole Foods on sale for $2.50. The price is in line with many other "natural" frozen burritos (like Amy's). Unfortunately, Sukhi's is not a brand I really consistently see anywhere except Costco, and most of what they carry of the brand isn't the vegan options. Your best bet is a store that carries a decent variety of natural & international goodies. And in case it wasn't already clear, this is a frozen item. 

As always, I am wary of buying frozen goods online, not to mention you'll end up paying a premium price for them, but I did find this wrap on Amazon in an eight pack, if you're desperate enough. 


Packaging & Prep. The packaging is just the outer plastic sleeve, pretty typical for a frozen burrito/wrap. The heating directions give you the option of microwave or oven. If I wanted to wait an hour for a burrito, I'd drive to Chipotle during the lunch rush. To say the least, I opted for the microwave. The two minutes cooking time just did not feel like enough, it is a pretty densely filled wrap, so I went for 30 more seconds and it came out perfectly heated through. 


Nutrition. The ingredients list makes me cringe, if at least for the abuse of parenthesis! I get that having a long ingredients list is pretty standard for Indian food thanks to the vast variety of spices used, and much of this list is indeed spices. I just find it so odd that after looking at the list, this seems to have contained actual, whole samosas that were chopped up, mixed with other ingredients before being used as the wrap filling? I have to admit, I'm a bit confused by this. 

This wrap contains a decent amount of whole food ingredients, but quite a few processed ones too (flour, oils, sugar). There's nothing too terrible, however, it's mostly ingredients you would find in your own kitchen (if you make a lot of Indian food, anyway!). 


This wrap is a whopping 340 calories, seems like a bit much for a relatively small wrap! It's got 11 grams of fat, so under a third of the calories are from fat, but still, that fat is mostly coming from oils which is not good. Only half a gram of saturated fat though! 

The sodium content is a bit steep as well at 680mg. It's hard to tell where the 5g of sugar is all from with the jumbled mess of the ingredients list, there is some sugar on the label, but other potential sources of sugar too, so I'm not going to worry much about it. We've also got 7g of fiber and 8g of protein, not too shabby. Overall, this wrap isn't a health food, but it's not terrible either. 

I love how perfectly it's folded

Nom Time. It tastes like disappointment. There, I said it. I was really hopping that it would just be a tortilla packed with delicious samosa filling and sadly, that is not the case. 

The tortilla itself wasn't bad, it was tender and the flavor was fine, and it didn't get horribly dried out on the ends like what happens too often with frozen burritos. For being made with whole wheat flour, I'd say it's pretty decent.

The potatoes are all brown from the excessive tamarind (I guess).
You can happen to see a single chickpea here. 

Oh, the filling. I was so expecting moist and fluffy potatoes and plenty of peas scattered throughout, and all the tasty spices that samosas are typically made with (no idea what, never made samosas before!). Instead, it was filled with mostly potatoes that were rather dry and tasted of tamarind chutney more than anything else. Sure, I love some tamarind chutney to dip a samosa in, but that's the only real flavor I got in this! The peas were rare, and there was an occasional chickpea too. I got no sense of this wrap actually containing chopped up samosas, I had no idea that was even the case until I really read the ingredients while preparing to do this review. 

Final Words. Sukhi's website. In all fairness, it wasn't bad. It just really missed the mark for my expectations. If they ever reformulated this to be a tortilla just stuffed with regular samosa filling (with more peas!!), I'd happily give it another go. As is, I'd only buy this again if I happen to find it on sale for super cheap. 

This wrap is actually labeled vegan (top right corner on package front), but gives no indications of being certified as such. Most of Sukhi's products are not vegan, however. 

1 comment:

  1. Great tips regrading polyethylene overwrap . You provided the best information which helps us a lot. Thanks for sharing the wonderful information.

    ReplyDelete