Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Shopping as a Vegan at: Food Fight Grocery

My latest Food Fight haul!

Ok ok, I realize that for a store review, this is too easy. For those who are unfamiliar, Food Fight is a small, all vegan grocery store located in southeast Portland, OR. It's located in what's known as the vegan mini mall along with Sweet Pea Bakery, Herbivore Clothing, and Scapegoat Tatoo. There used to be a little vegan cafe around the corner called Red & Black that has since gone out of business. :(

More after the break...


For anyone visiting Portland, I highly recommend giving the vegan mini mall a visit. There's a small parking lot next to Scapegoat, and plenty of street parking as well. Trimet has a bus stop right across the street at SE Stark & 12th Ave. Check their website for route & scheduling info.

Of course, you could always just shop Food Fight on their website. I've noticed that some items are slightly cheaper in store than online (like a 5 cent difference), and there is a much better selection to be had at the actual store, since they do not sell perishable goods on their website.

Food Fight does carry a large variety of vegan foods and other goods like dog food, toiletries, condoms and the like. It's not a very large store though, so don't expect them to carry everything in the world that's vegan. They're also awesome about focusing on carrying products that were ethically produced (fair trade and what not), so that's why you won't find clif bars here. (I should mention that I do still eat clif bars on occasion, and I'm not interested in giving other vegans shit for not seeking out fair trade goods, I just try to do my best on this matter).

Food Fight might be a little more expensive than you're typical grocery store, but I love supporting a vegan business whenever I can. In all honesty, some of their prices are cheaper than the big chains anyway. I would shop there a little more frequently if I could (it's about a half hour drive for me one way in lite traffic). Even after moving to the Portland area, I would do mail orders from other online vegan businesses (I have links in one of my sidebars! Look!!), and I would very much hate to see any of them go away. We've already lost Cosmo's Vegan Shoppe, let's not lose more! They were my favorite site to order from back in the day.

* * * * *

And how about my haul as pictured above? Sure, it was a fairly small haul, but I acquired some goodies that I'm excited to try!

I've had the Leahey's mac & cheeze and the Thai & True curry paste before, but everything else is new to me! The pizza flavored So Delicious mac sounds interesting, and I'm very curious about the All Vegetarian (yes, that is the brand name) smoked drum sticks.I really wanted to buy more frozen items, but I'm still dealing with the issue of my freezers being too full.

 I've already tried the jerky (it's made with soy curls!) at the time of writing this, hopefully I'll have a review up for that within a week or so (I'm still really backlogged on reviews!).

All the foiled wrapped candies are Sjaak's, I know I've had some of these before in the past, but I don't remember what flavors. I've had some Cocomels before, but nothing chocolate coated, I'm sure it'll be decadent! I've heard not good things about the Daiya yogurts, but I'm still curious to try it for myself.

And then there's the PUMPKIN. SPICE. DANDIES!!!! I was so thrilled to find them! Can't wait to try them! Amazed I didn't pop open the bag the second I stepped out of the store! Though while thinking of vegan marshmallows, I'm kinda sad they didn't have any of Sweet & Sara's seasonal goodies.

I think once I have freezer space to work with again, I'll make another trip to Food Fight for even more vegan goodies to nom & review! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment