Pages

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Sweet Earth Natural Foods Kyoto Burrito



It's burrito time again! Today we've got one with a Japanese flair from Sweet Earth. Is there any cuisine that doesn't taste good wrapped in a tortilla? Let's take a look!

Buying. I've found Sweet Earth Natural Foods products at a variety of stores, they do have an app on their facebook page to track them down. The app even lets you look for specific products! Pretty handy, right? I found this burrito on sale at Target for $2.50, I want to say the normal price was $2.99. So it's in the same price range as other "natural" frozen burritos.

If you hate money, buy a case off Amazon.

I like the infograph style directions along the top. 
Packaging & Prep. Packaging is just a plastic outer wrap with some pretty pictures of the contents. Heating directions only mention microwave. The directions suggest wrapping in a paper towel or just sticking it on a plate, I skipped the towel and just plopped it on a plate. After following the suggested time, I felt like the burrito was not cooked enough and it seemed soggy, maybe I should've used a paper towel anyway. I microwaved it for another 30 seconds and it came out perfect.

The packing also mentions eating within 7 days of thawing and that you can refrigerate or freeze it. I guess that means you could also eat it cold if you really wanted to? The little nagging food safety voice in the back of my head says you should heat it regardless.


Nutrition. This burrito has a decent amount of fiber and protein. The filling is mostly good whole foods, but the wrap is processed white flour and oil, and the sodium is a bit high. It's less than 300 calories for the whole burrito, which is pretty good as it is decently filling.

Thanks to how the package was sealed, it was very hard to get a decent
pic of the Nutrition Facts.

Overall, it's fairly healthy for a convenience food. If it had whole wheat wrap and less soy sauce it could be a lot healthier. Oh well!

Fresh out of the microwave!

Tasting. The very first thing I noticed when I was heating this burrito was a very enticing aroma, very reminiscent of a freshly baked, yeasty bread. Sure enough, the wrap ingredients do list yeast! I've never heard of making tortilla-like flat bread with yeast before, but I'm not complaining! The wrap was very good, so good I wish they would just sell a package of the wraps on their own!

The filling was also very tasty! All the different filling components were distinct yet they worked together harmoniously. I loved the earthiness from the adzukis and shiitakes, the slight bitterness from the bok choy and sesame seeds, and there was a subtle bit of heat from the ginger and anaheim peppers. This was a very delicious burrito all around.

The filling. Not as pretty as the package picture, but still very good!

Bottom Line. Sweet Earth website. Sweet Earth is a vegetarian company that seems to specialize in seitan products. They're pretty good at marking their vegan products as such. I'm not a fan of their website as finding any useful information through all the empty buzzwords is pretty futile.

I would definitely buy this again. After years of just Amy's burritos, this Kyoto burrito was like a breath of fresh air for my taste buds. I'm also looking forward to trying Sweet Earth's other vegan offerings. I highly recommend giving them a try.

I do wonder why they chose the name Kyoto for this burrito though. I know that different regions of Japan have their own particular cuisines, but I'm no expert and I feel like this burrito is just generically Japanese and they just chose a random city to name it after. This probably bothers me way more than it should.

Sweet Earth should really think about selling those tortillas separately *hint hint* 

No comments:

Post a Comment